feature-top

India Blocks China's 'Provocative Military Movements' in East Ladakh

By: Sashwata Saha
31 Aug 2020 6:44:35 PM Class of 2020, Kolkata

Last night, the Chinese People’s Liberation Army soldiers made ‘provocative military movements’ on the southern bank of Pangong Tso, the Indian army said in a statement on Monday, alleging that soldiers from across the Line of Actual Control were trying to alter the status quo. 

 

The statement also said that Indian troops had been able to pre-empt the PLA from trying to change the facts on the ground. A Brigade Commander level Flag Meeting between the military representatives of the two nations is in progress at Chushul to resolve the issues.

 

Sources told NDTV that there were no physical skirmishes; the Army was aware of the Chinese move and established themselves in a move to block the Chinese advance, they said.

 

Beijing claimed that Chinese border troops "never cross the line of actual control". "Both sides are in communication regarding the situation on the ground," Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told a news briefing.

 

Last week, Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said that complete disengagement requires re-deployment of troops by each side towards their regular posts on their respective sides of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and this can be done only through mutually agreed-upon actions.

 

There have been several agreements between the two sides to disengage, particularly after the Galwan Valley clash on June 15 that led to casualties on both sides. However, the Chinese troops have been slow to step back, particularly around Pangong Tso, the saltwater glacial lake spread across 700 sq km.

 

Post Comments